Government kick start 1 teacher 1 laptop initiate with St Mary’s SHS


Government of Ghana has begun distribution of Laptop to every Teacher under the One Teacher, One Laptop” initiative.

The good news now is that, Government has stared the initiative with teachers of St Mary’s Senior High School.

Under this initiative, all teachers from kindergarten to SHS Level will receive a laptop each to enhance teaching and learning especially in this era of Covid 19 where virtual learning is being combined with traditional teaching and learning.

At a short ceremony to launch and kick-start the distribution, Vice-President, Mahamudu Bawumia reiterated the government’s commitment to provide the needed resources for the educational sector and commended teachers for their dedication and commitment to the profession. He charged the National Inspectorate Board to ensure that teachers become the sole beneficiaries of the laptops.

Government will pay 70 percent of the cost of the laptop, while the teachers are expected to pay the remaining 30 percent through direct deductions from their salaries from the Controller and Accountant General’s Department. The laptops which will be the personal effect of the teachers will be loaded with all the needed materials for effective teaching.

These would include the curriculum, Teachers Resource Pack, Continuous Professional Development (CPD), and Professional Learning Communities (PLC) modules as well as the textbooks on core subjects. Vice President Bawumia said the government which has education as its priority, has over the years introduced measures to improve the sector. He mentioned the restoration of the teacher Trainee allowance, Free Wifi for schools, and the recruitment of about 90 thousand teachers. He charged the teachers to put the laptops to good use and maintain them.

The Director-General of the Ghana Education Service, Prof. Kwasi Opoku-Amankwa said all teachers from Creche to SHS level would benefit from the initiative. He pledged the commitment of everyone to make good use of the laptops.

The Minister of Education, Dr. Osei Yaw Adutwum expressed gratitude to the government for the initiative stressing that education is key to socio-economic development.

KA Technologies will supply the laptops. Its Managing Director, Omolara Olakumi lauded the government for the initiative. In a solidarity message, the Teacher Unions commended the government for the 1 Teacher, 1Laptop initiative.

They entreated the beneficiaries to put to good use and maintain the laptops. Teachers would be required to dial 7970555# and follow the prompts to register for the laptops.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here